Sunday, January 2, 2011

Still alive... and getting married!


Most people can write off a day or a week. 2010 was a write off for me, nutritionally. Training was fine as usual, so at least I'm sure I've put on some muscle! So now its time to let it shine through once more.

As you may know, Ali and I got engaged in late October 2010. So as cliche as it may be to be losing weight for a wedding, its great motivation for me to set some goals and get back on track. Our wedding is in August this year.

So far in my life I've never been able to maintain a weight that I'm happy with. I've only been what I would call slim for about 2 years, around the time that we dieted for our show in September 2009. Overall, its been a constant cycle of ups and downs on the scales.

I won't be competing again in the near future, for now I'd like to be able to get down and maintain where I was in ~ October 2008. There's a good 10kg difference :S A lot of people would look at me and say I don't need to lose 10kg, but I know how good I felt then. Ali has never commented negatively on my weight or criticised me when I overate. It wouldn't matter to him whether I lost 10kg, stayed the same or put on a few more. He supports me in anything I want to do, I'm a lucky girl :)

As rough as competing was on the body, I learnt mind over matter and how strong I could be, how the mind controls and the body follows. Before dieting down for a show, I didn't think it was possible for me to be 'slim'! I also know that its possible without killing myself with cardio or starving myself! So even though there's a long road ahead of me, I'm in a good place because I know its just a matter of time and consistently putting in the effort.
So the goal this year remains to 'find balance', work on the type of person I want to be and be able to keep the weight from piling or creeping back on- It doesn't matter whether or not I get the right number on the scales in time for the wedding, its more important to me that I get in the right headspace and the weight takes care of itself.

My Values:

Calm, in control, focussed, disciplined.
Thoughtful of others, generous, kind, considerate.
Inspirational, admirable, a role model.

I'm looking forward to supporting you all in your individual goals for 2011.

5 comments:

  1. Hi Steph,
    Congratulations on your engagement! Welcome back to Blogland - I always enjoyed your posts.
    :) :)
    Sandra

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Steph, and welcome back. Funny how I read your blog posts and nod my head and totally relate. I'm about 6-8 kilos from ideal to run another half msrathon well. But no august wedding to motivate me LOL. I look forward to following your journey.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Congratulations Steph!!

    I agree with Magda, I was nodding and saying yes as I read your post too.

    Lets get to a spot this year where we are happy. We KNOW this doesn't involve seeing our hip bones or each of our ribs ;) Some people can maintain that and yay for them. Some of us can't and won't be happy until we realize that.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for your kind comments ladies, its nice to be back amongst like minded friends. 2011 will be a great year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. And I'm a lucky mutant... I mean a lucky man :)
    Good luck hunny. If I buy peanut butter just pretend its poisonous ;)

    ReplyDelete