Tuesday, June 14, 2011

I missed you!

I’ve missed you!

I didn’t keep up with this new blog because although I had post comp stuff to talk about and wedding plans on I didn’t feel like I had enough to say…. But now that’s changed!!
I started uni at the beginning of the year and in 6 short months I have grown so much as a person… Its not that I wasn’t ‘genuine’ before but Im feeling a lot more comfortable with myself these days, thus I feel a lot more comfortable writing in this public forum.

I’m just about to complete my first semester of
Bachelor of Health Science (Nutrition) at QUT :)

I’m on my way to doing a job I would do for free = a big factor of happiness in life I think. If you are lucky enough to know where your passion lies, I say go for it.

Since starting uni, I have felt… alive! Its reawakened my drive, curiousity and work ethic. I happy spend a great proportion of my free time studying. I spent a ridiculous amount of time writing a 30min script for 5 people to ensure our group scored a ‘high distinction’.

I truly believe I need to be busy AND have goals to be happy. Give me a goal that I’m passionate to pursue and I’m like a woman possessed – without one, I’m mope around in circles, get a bit depressed and eat a lot :S

Speaking of eating a lot, that’s exactly what I spent 2010 doing. My weight hit its peak (I do have a limit at which I snap out of denial) around our engagement party in January 2011. Though I felt beautiful in my new dress on the night, I cringed when I saw the pictures. Even worse, we had engagement pictures taken with our wedding photographer and I could only pick out one from the whole batch that I liked, because of my weight.

I bought my wedding dress in January, a size 10 which fit at this weight which probably goes to show a bit of body dismorphia going on. Since then I have lost 5kg and feeling a lot more comfortable. They’ll just have to lace my wedding dress up tighter won’t they….? haha. (I've just re-read my last post below from January 2011 and its clear to me I wasn't being completely honest with myself or anyone else, ahh retrospect is a great thing!)

I’m in a good place right now. I’m not dieting anymore because I find it incongruent with my study – I’m eating a really balanced diet which is very relaxed by my standards, and doesn’t exclude anything – I’m loving fruit and yoghurt, things I used to feel bad about eating – but I’m eating them at the right times ;) I know I have put on muscle in the past couple of years and I’m really enjoying mixing weights up with my new love, RPM. I feel that my metabolism is benefiting from extra food and some higher intensity cardio for more variety in my workouts.

The question now is, do I count my blessings that I have found this happy medium and continue maintaining? OR do I push out of comfortable zone, in these last 10 weeks to look [my version of] amazing on my wedding day? (Probably another 3kg would do it)

Are we ever truly happy with our weight to just want to maintain it!!!? Expect to hear from me at least once a week now! :)

3 comments:

  1. Welcome back Steph! What a great post.
    It's great you have found your calling and are realising your dream. Not many people can put their hand up to being content with what they do, and we all know that old adage - find something you love doing and you will never have to work a day in your life - SO TRUE!
    Gosh, 10 weeks - I can't believe it is creeping up so fast! You must be getting crazy excited now!
    Size 10 - your heaviest - yeah...I would say that is def touching on body dysmorphia! But it's always nice to feel good about ourselves...I think if you are feeling amazing right now then you should evaluate whether you are going to enjoy the process of getting another 3kg off - and is there any point? You are going to look radiant on your wedding day with or without the 3kg drop because you are truly happy AND comfortable in your own skin......just food for thought.
    Vicki x

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's great to see you blogging again Steph, studying hard and getting married :) You have it going on girlfriend!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Steph, great to see you blogging again. Not long now till your big day! My thoughts on your question about maintaining your current weight or dropping more..your right we are never totally satisfied with our bodies, no matter what size we are. I think the decider is at what weight/size will you be able to look back on your wedding pics and feel happiest with yourself? I think you will look beautiful anyway :) So no pressure on yourself ok! This is your big day, enjoy the weeks prior to being hitched. You can't get them back!! (I have been married for 5 years!) Manda

    ReplyDelete