Friday, June 24, 2011

Everyday Scones with jam and cream



......I wish!

I indulge in a scone every now and then. And actually I don't even wish I could eat them everyday because then they wouldn't be special. the more 'sacred' treats are the more discerning (picky) you become too, I've become quite the critic when it comes to a good scone and I refuse to try to make them myself either obviously they're deceptively difficult...

What's your favourite comfort food? As I get older (and eat less sugary foods) my once killer sweet tooth has taken a bit of a backseat lately. While I once loved milk chocolate and giant muffins, I now prefer dark chocolate with nuts. I was never a huge fan of icecream but thesedays I'd take greek yoghurt with cookies and cream protein powder mixed in anyday! Its not perfect but its progress! ;)

I've never been a huge fan of trying to copy traditional high fat high sugar dessert recipes with substitute ingredients and a bucketload of splenda. But sometimes, just sometimes you find a healthy version of a comfort food where you can replicate certain flavour combinations or the essential elements of what you're craving.

Cue my protein pancakes with 'jam' and 'cream'.

I hadn't made protein pancakes in years until I got sick this week and had a couple of days off. I didn't feel like fish and salad for lunch so I decided to get creative and revamp my old recipe. I thought, what would Jamie Oliver do to flavour pancakes (or any dessert for that matter) - add orange zest to it! Keep in mind I just ch
ucked things together and hoped for the best but here is the recipe I used which amazingly worked out quite well for 3 decent sized pancakes ( 1 serve):

Steph's protein pancakes
30g quick oats
3 egg whites
15g vanilla protein powder
80g cottage cheese
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 heaped tsp greek yoghurt
splash vanilla essence
orange zest
squeeze orange juice

Whizz together with a stick blender, getting a heap of air into those egg whites. Cook in non stick pan or use a couple of grams of my new best friend, coconut oil.


Here's my first one, the next two were a bit dark!


Now as yummy as that would be plain that's just not the way I roll, so I've made my own 'jam' by nuking 60g frozen strawberries) for 30 seconds, mushing them up with a pkt of splenda. Top with more greek yoghurt for the 'cream'. As you know, I like Black Swan. Maybe they should sponsor me, lol. Enjoy! xoxox
Ps Im sure you've already noticed this website but I've found quite a few cute meal/snack ideas there for someone like me who isn't dieting, and needs to re-learn how you can love your food without ending up the size of a house. yes that's how I'd describe my situation... lol!

2 comments:

  1. YUM Steph!!!
    I am going to have to give these a go for a 'healthy' cheat - when I can work myself up to skipping my ice cream one week lol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi, I came across your site and wasn’t able to get an email address to contact you about a broken link on your site. Please email me back and I would be happy to point them out to you.

    Hailey William
    haileyxhailey@gmail.com

    ReplyDelete