Thursday, June 16, 2011

A rant about oatmeal

It has occurred to me that if I want to blog more regularly (which I do) then I can’t wait around for inspiration to hit and not every post need be epic.

So I’m going to tell you about something that’s been annoying me the last few weeks…. It’s the fact that we can’t get many cool sugar free/low carb products here in Australia, that they have in America. Sugar free jam + low fat peanut butter + low carb bread??? Seriously what’s their excuse for the obesity rate? Lol.

Ages ago I ‘liked’ the facebook page – ‘Recipes for Gals in Figure and Bodybuilding’ and I found all these wonderful oatmeal recipes with awesome flavour combinations – made possible by the addition of flavoured drops or syrups – seriously anything decadent you can think of from Brown sugar cinnamon to white chocolate, apple pie and vanilla custard.

I constructed an online order and nearly fell of my chair when I saw the postage which was more than the price of the items… Thought about sharing an order with a friend but that doesn’t really help because the postage just goes up and up with more items you add.

I know the syrups are probably not great for you (artificial, sugar alcohols etc) but the fact that I can’t try them annoys the shit out of me!!

I’m loving my oats the way I have them at the moment, during the week I add blueberries but on the weekends when I get a chance to train right after breakfast I ‘carb it up’ by adding sultanas, green apple and extra greek yoghurt…. Heaven in a bowl.

Determined to try something from the page, I tried making a ‘baked oatmeal’ using just the ingredients from the recipe that I had (basically I added baking powder and some vanilla essence to above ingredients and I sprinkled the top with muesli). It was very nice for a change in texture…. But in my opinion not really worth the extra effort and 30min wait time. It looks rather big in the pic below but its really not, the firmer texture makes it seem like it doesn't go as far.. to me. And we know its ALL about making not much food seem like more! ;)
The yoghurt in the pic is Black Swan - Naturally sweet Greek style breakfast yoghurt" no lactose and no added sugar. I found it thanks to Charlotte :) There is a low fat verson but this one's already very low (there's not much difference actually) AND the low fat one has more sugar per 100g... don't trust marketing, read the labels!

















So thanks for listening to my rant.

The Bottom line I guess is : You can’t beat natural flavours from real fruits and ingredients… but I want to find that out for myself!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Steph, I have a US postal address and am thinking of trying some of that PB2 powder - it looks like it would be a great addition to some protein pancakes. Message me on FB if you want to share an order! xx

    ReplyDelete